Monday, March 18, 2013

Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix

It's Hannah, with another geeky little post here. While I am procrastinating on my wall mural (for the concrete storm shelter in our back yard) I decided to do a bit on this sketch.

Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix

*Possible Spoilers?*

Okay. I'm not a HUGE Harry Potter fan... well, I say "not huge", I read the books before the movie, I know the names of most of the actors who play main characters and own a Harry Potter making-of book, I've studied the creation of Buckbeak aka "Witherwings"... anyhow, my sisters and I were not allowed to read Harry Potter until a couple years ago. We finished the series about a month before Deathly Hallows part 2 came out. My mom and aunt like the series a lot, so I grew up hearing about it, but not understanding any of it. I thought Dumbledore was a dwarf with a pink umbrella - seriously.

So. Of all the books, Order Of The Phoenix was my favorite. Except for Cho Chang and... the end. Trying to avoid spoilers, but I really hated the end. I gasped and panted and squeaked my unhappiness quite a bit.

For those of you who have NOT read Harry Potter... I'm sorry? This post might not make much sense. But my next one will not be a Harry Potter one.

Unless you watched the movies and not read the books. In which case I am giving you a disapproving look through the screen.






That was my disapproving look.

Anyhow. This picture was done when I wanted to practice some art to widen my repertoire. I usually do manga, stylized-ish cartoon-y drawings.  So I did an attempt at something more realistic, and my closest example at hand was the DVD case for Order Of The Phoenix. We'd gotten it from the library in hopes of seeing it again (it never happened). 

This is a bit reminiscent of my first attempt at realistic art, or rather, my first attempt to copy a picture without tracing it. The result turned out WAY better than I'd anticipated. I think it was when I was twelve. I was copying a drawing of Wonder Woman from a Wonder Woman DVD set Christmas present, the full three seasons of the series with Lynda Carter. Wonder Woman is one of my favorite super heroes, right up there with Batman and Robin/Nightwing (Dick Grayson). They are epic.  According to the dictionary, that means "heroic, majestic, or impressively great". So they are epic.

And another reason I decided to do the cover of this movie and not, say, Goblet Of Fire, is that Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint actually have decent haircuts! Voldemort too.

This was sketched with a plain graphite pencil, and enhanced on Photoshop, Mostly to get rid of the lead smudges, like usual.

Besides all that, I think this is all I have to say. Well, I don't think Rupert Grint's face turned out quite right. I tried. He's a weird-faced person and is hard to duplicate. Despite this, I personally think it looks great as long as you don't compare it to the original. Which, you know, isn't spectacular. But you could tell what it was, right? In any case, tell me what you think! Art isn't much good if no one looks at it, and I'd like to know your opinion.

Bye-ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment